If you need assistance navigating the station or a ramp to get on your train, our passenger assistance service can help. Whether you book assistance in advance or not, our teams are here to help. Booking in advance with our Assisted Travel service helps to ensure that we can have everything in place to help you. The national booking system operates across the National Rail network.
You can request Assisted Travel at any point before your journey. To make sure we have staff available to help you, we recommend you book 4 hours in advance. If your journey takes you across multiple train companies, we recommend booking by 22:00 (10.00pm) the day before you travel.
Get in touch with our station staff at staffed stations once you've arrived, and we'll take care of the rest. If you're at an unstaffed station, make your way to the platform, and we'll do our best to let the on-board team know you're boarding. Give yourself plenty of time when you arrive so that we can make sure you're in the right place on the platform to board the train. You can check the facilities at stations across Great Britain with our station finder.
To make an Assisted Travel booking, contact our Assisted Travel team 24 hours a day, every day except 25 and 26 December:
- Call 0800 52 82 100 (freephone) to speak to our in-house Assisted Travel Team.
- National Rail Enquiries also operate a 24-hour dedicated travel assistance line by calling 08000 22 37 20.
- Text Relay service 18001 0800 52 82 100. Using the text relay service is easy - simply add 18001 before the number, or download the app. A relay assistant will type back anything the hearing person says at the other end of the call.
- Through our app
- Fill in the Assisted Travel booking form below
Find out about taking a wheelchair or motorised scooter on the train
If you require these documents in any other format (for example large print or braille) please get in touch with our customer service team.
Get 1/3 off train tickets for yourself and a friend at any time with a Disabled Persons Railcard.
If things go wrong
Sometimes, facilities at the station or on the train may break down. We'll do our best to get them fixed as soon as possible, and let you know through our Journeycheck information page. To find out more about facilities we're working to repair:
- Head to our Journeycheck information page.
- Click the "Station Updates" drop-down menu for station information.
- Click the "Other Train Service Updates" for onboard facilities information.
If booked assistance hasn't been available or failed
In the event that we've not been able to provide you with assistance that you've booked then please get in touch. You'll also be entitled to compensation from us if our assistance arrangements have failed.