There are 7-day season tickets, but why there are no 5-working day season tickets?

This might seem like a simple question, but I have always wondered why we have to buy 7-day season tickets, whilst the majority of commuters only use them to travel between Monday to Friday?

I mean, I don't need to buy those 2 extra days, which only makes tickets unnecessarily more expensive.  

Implementing this wouldn't require changing the gates (given that they read a start date and an end date). It will be just the matter of adding that option in the vending machines and in the website. 

For a start, this type of tickets would only make sense to buy them on Monday or a Tuesday, it will still be cheaper than buying a 7-day season ticket. 

Of course, the real treat would be that the price-per-day should remain equivalent to the 7-day season ticket, that is, if the 7-day ticket is  £30, so the price per day is £4.28, the 5-working day ticket should be 5 x 4.28 = £21.40. Fantastic saving!!

Parents
  • Hi,

The terms and conditions governing the use of a season ticket are executed by South Western Railway in line with instructions from the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC), instructing Train Operating Companies how to conduct their business.

Type of season tickets offered by rail operators in the UK are Weekly, Monthly, Monthly Plus (for a period of more than one month, but less than 12 months) and Annual.

For regular commuters, a season ticket offers considerable savings over buying individual daily tickets, and generally the longer the season ticket, the greater the saving. A weekly season ticket is 4 - 5 times Any Time Day Return ticket (in some cases even cheaper). Cost of other types of season tickets is calculated based on the weekly season ticket fares. A monthly season ticket is 3.84 times weekly fare and an annual season ticket is 40 times weekly fare.

However, we know that some customers don’t travel every day, and we’ll be launching a Carnet product by September 2018, offering a 5% saving when buying 10x Anytime Day Returns for the same journey on our Touch smartcards. We’ll be publishing the full details as soon as they’re available.

Kind Regards,

Joseph B

Reply Children