Why doesn’t my 1-6 zone travelcard work on buses via my smartcard?

I just ported my annual paper season ticket (Ashford Surrey to London plus 1-6 zone travelcard) and it works fine on rail and tube barriers but when I try to use a tfl bus oyster reader it rejects it and I get a red light. Is my card faulty or is there something wrong with the system? I’m definitely not going to hand my paper ticket in at a ticket office as requested until I can use all the travelcard features on my smartcard!

• Hi, sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your smartcard. As you are encountering an issue when using the TfL oyster readers on bus services it might be an issue at that end. I suggest that you contact TfL here: https://tfl.gov.uk/help-and-contact/contact-us-about-buses

In addition, please call our dedicated smartcard helpline on 0345 810 1010. As your smartcard is operating rail and tube automatic ticket gates it does not suggest a faulty card.

• I find that my Touch smartcard does work on Tfl buses but it takes a lot longer than it should to get read. I hold it on the reader and it can take up to 3 or 4 seconds to get a response. At ticket barriers on the tube or mainline SWR stations in London it's quicker but still slower than everyone elses card. I read that it was supposed to be quicker than a paper ticket but I'm not convinced any more.