I’ve just got an incredibly busy (packed) service from Waterloo - Woking, I was crushed in the first class carriage standing against a table - we then stopped at clap junct to pick up only - how is this safe?

I’ve just got an incredibly busy (packed) service from Waterloo - Woking, I was crushed in the first class carriage standing against a table - we then stopped at clap junct to pick up only - how is this safe?

Parents
  • Hi, Apologies that you feel your journey with was uncomfortable. although we recognize busy trains can be uncomfortable they are rarely, if ever unsafe. The Office of Rail and Road, who regulate safety on Britain's Railways have released a statement about overcrowding on trains which can be found here.

Our guards carry the responsibility to decide if a train is too busy and they can ask for some stations to be missed out to ease passenger numbers. We encourage guards, where possible, to make announcements regarding luggage on board and we are able to (when informed by the guard on board) to announce at stations that the train will be busy.

During peak times the lines in and out of London Waterloo run at near 100% capacity and whilst every effort is made to not cancel or delay services, unexpected incidents do occur, this tends to make trains even busier and we work hard to minimize discomfort. 

On our long distance services we rarely advertise Clapham Junction as a stop from Waterloo to encourage customers to use our metro services to shuttle between Waterloo and Clapham, this is done to decrease delays at Clapham Junction and also ease passenger numbers on these trains leaving Waterloo bound for Clapham Junction.

Reply Children